Tuesday, March 16, 2010

{GASP} Boxed Dinnerware! and other Registry Musings

Seriously Lady, get a life! Like I mean a real life, the kind where kids exist and drop cutlery on the ground. The kind where you heat up leftovers on a microwaveable plate. The kind where you go to your mom's for Christmas dinner and therefore do NOT need crystal glassware. Honestly, I do not live in a world that requires me to own expensive china or flatware or anything of the sort, nor do I even want it!

Can you tell I enjoyed our first registry experience? No joke, when BFF and I said we were not interested in registering for fine china, she replied with a gasp, “No! You don’t want boxed dinnerware for your wedding!” I had to refrain from getting up and walking away.

After spending about 2 hrs with a scanner in hand, the BFF and I only ended up scanning around 10 items! We quickly realized we were not made out for a registry for 2 reasons:

1) We both already have a lot of items as I live on my own and BFF did at one point too! Therefore we simply do not need as many items as someone who lives at home and moves out.

2) We are thrifty people. We buy things on sale and look for deals. We are both having a hard time putting items on the registry that we expect people to buy for full price. (Please, if you are reading this and are going to buy something for us, please try and find the item on the registry on sale, it will give David less anxiety!)

All in all, I know that it is helpful for people to buy items off a registry so they feel they are getting something useful. And I know it helps us so we don’t get items we already own, which to me would seem even more wasteful, possibly almost as wasteful as spending 2 hrs in a department store with a crazy registry lady gasping in disbelief at our practicality. I don’t think we were made me this!

2 comments:

  1. *grin*
    I've daydreamed about asking for only books as wedding presents. I don't like any dishes except thrift-store ones, and there's only so many kitchen gadgets you need (or can fit). I think when my turn comes I will have similar woes to tell..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Shan, and your practicality!

    ReplyDelete